Friday, July 12, 2013

Africa Finally!


Hello family and friends,


I am excited to say that I have the opportunity to go back to Africa! Finally! I feel like I have been praying, preparing, and longing for this for years now. In case you are new to hearing about my journey I'll give you a little background about me and why Africa is so special to me.


When I was 17 years old I went to Malawi, Africa with my dad. I had no idea how much that trip would change my life and when I got home all I could think about was preparing to go back. Prior to that trip, during high school I felt very sick a lot of the time with pain in my muscles and joints and intense stomach pains every time I ate. I had trouble sleeping and generally felt tired all the time. However, when I was in Malawi I was mostly pain free!  I believe God freed me up to concentrate on the people there and  I realized that this “good health” stemmed from the fact that I was directly in the center of what God had planned for my life. I felt more at home in this strange far away country than I do in California!  I knew deep down in my heart that God had much bigger plans for me then I had for myself.


I returned home and immediately started preparing to return;  such as earning my EMT license, going to missions conferences, and attending a 5-month Discipleship Training School with YWAM. For those of you who don't know, I did a Medical Discipleship Training School last January (2012) and did two months of medical clinics in the Philippines. While I enjoyed my time in the Philippines my heart still longs to go back to Africa.


I’ve been home from the Philippines for a little over a year and my heart is burning with the desire to get back out on the mission field. I believe God has a lot of work to do in me to prepare me to best serve His people and I have been blessed with the opportunity to start pursuing my Bachelors Degree in Biblical Studies online through Life Pacific College.


During this last year I have learned so much about myself.  God has also been giving me a clearer vision about the work He is preparing me for. My heart beats faster just thinking about Africa, developing medical clinics for the needy in outlying areas, and building friendships with those beautiful people! I am praying about the opportunity to serve in this capacity long term with Luke and Kristin Rider and their Cross Connection team in Mozambique.


This September my dad is leading a trip to Mozambique and this seems like the opportunity  I’ve been waiting for.   I will get the chance to see firsthand the Riders headquarters, and most importantly the villages we may be able to serve with clinics.  I will have ample time to discuss  the possibilities with the Riders and we will all have the time to pray whether this would be a good long term partnership!  I am so excited!  It feels like a dream is about to come true!  Fortunately my dad will be with me out to “spy out the land” and I can continue my degree via internet!


I am writing this letter to ask you to partner with me in this step towards my long term goal of moving to Mozambique and partnering with Cross Connection. I need to raise $3,400 in order to go on this scouting trip and I also need you to partner with me in prayer!


Please be praying that God will provide all the necessary funds and that He would give me clarity while I am there as to if this is the right ministry for me to partner with and when to make the move.

Checks can be made to “Reaching the Hungry” and mailed to 755 Vista Canyon Circle, Vista, CA 92084.

No comments: